Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Veronica Sawyer

Veronica
Stick Puppet From "Holly Pop: The Lolipop Girl"

All the characters in Holly Pop are either high school students, or teachers. All the students are named after characters from other high school films, like The Breakfast Club, or Better Off Dead, etc... That whole teen flick genere.
And all the teachers are named after teachers I had in school.
Some of the puppets are based on the Elmwood Crew and a few of our friends, others are totally out of my head.

So a little on how they are made

OK so here's how they start, in a baggie! So I free them of their prison, but now they're all naked!
I get out the colored pencils, acrylic paints, and markers and give them all faces, clothing, etc... Add hair using felt, yarn, fun foam, etc...
(Yes, I almost did put the paint brush in my coffee)
And some I got out the X-Acto and trimmed up a bit, so they don't all have the same body
Tugger likes to help.
I didn't do too many of these in the studio. I made them in my kitchen, at the table. Or in my living room while watching the newer King Kong and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (look for a very "Mutt" looking stick puppet later!)

What I love about these is how simple they look, and fun they have been to make... Now go get your own pack and make a show!

No comments: