Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Music keeps me happy....

Riding home from Central Cafe tonite Russ and I started talking about buying music.  Untill about 5 years ago I was the guy who was at the record store every week (sometimes more than once) buying music every time I went.
I mainly stopped because record stores have all but disappeared.  Sure there are a few left in Connecticut, but none close enough to me to make it a weekly trip.  And I'm not a big downloader too.  I like having the album in my hands.  I want to see the artwork, and I love the smell of the ink, and of vinyl LP and plastic of a CD.  I do downlaod, just very rarely is it a full album.  Usually a b-side or digital only release.  And I do shop at Amazon and other online music stores, but only if I can't find it nearby.
So riding home from Central Cafe tonite Russ and I started talking about buying music, and I started wondering what my favorite album of 2012 was.  Essentially by default it's Ben Fold Five's The Sound of the Light and the Mind.  For two reasons; 1. It's an awesome album I keep playing and 2. I only bought four new albums last year.
And that got me thinking.  Thinking about the albums I did acually by for myself in 2012.  So I went to my CD and LP collection and looked it over.  For fun; here's what I bought, or got as gifts -

CD
Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel
Ben Folds Five - The Sound of the Light and The Mind
Cee-Lo Green - Cee-Lo's Magic Moment
Michael Jackson - Thriller Special Edition
Jerry Nelson - Truro Daydreams (FIND THIS AND BUY THIS)
Parliament - The 12 Inch Collection And More
Prince - Ultimate Prince
Queen + Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rocks
Soul Asylum - Delayed Reaction
The Original Seven (AKA The Time) Condensate
The Time - The Time
The Black Keys - El Camino

LP
Warren Zevon - Excitable Boy
Prince and the Revolution - Around the World in a Day
David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders From Mars
Queen + Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rocks
Queen - A Day at The Races
Queen - A Night at the Opera
Queen - Sheer Heart Attack
Queen - Queen 2


I'm gonna make it a point this year to hit up more music stores

No comments: